Beware of JDownloader

simond9X

Beware of JDownloader

Post by simond9X » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:57 am

I've used Jdownloader successfully for a few years now - no problems at all. Last week, I got a new laptop so reinstalled all the software that I use. When I'd finished, I realised that I had some malware ('Search Know Ads') on my laptop. Tried every which way to get rid of it but ended up having to do a factory reset. I was more careful second time round and, long story short, realised that the malware had been introduced via JDownloader. When I Googled it, there's a lot of stuff about the latest version, JDownloader 2, having malware.

Because I'd used the latest version. I thought I'd go back and try the original installation file for JDownloader from a couple of years ago, which I still had on my old machine. Norton immediately said that there was "suspicious outgoing traffic" and that it had blocked an attempt to install a Trojan. So, whichever installation version of JDownloader you use, it must do a 'handshake' with the mother-ship to try and download the dodgy software. As an experiment, I also tried installing the old version whilst disconnected from the internet. The install tried to connect and just froze because it couldn't - I had to kill the process eventually.

So please be careful - if, like me, you've used JDownloader without problems so far, it doesn't mean that you will continue to do so after an upgrade/reinstall.

Sajad

Re: Beware of JDownloader

Post by Sajad » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:44 pm

I was weary of Jdownloader from the installation process wanting me to download 3rd party junk with it. That is why I rested on Megasync, and now Mega Link Downloader, which I mention in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12475

Plus, Mega Link Downloader got a new update the other day! The creator fixed a bunch of small problems.

Return to “General discussion”