JDownloader works perfectly with MEGA in Firefox

merday

JDownloader works perfectly with MEGA in Firefox

Post by merday » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:42 pm

JDownloader is working perfectly for Mega files with Firefox - on each title just select all, right click>copy, and JDL does the rest (sequentially, one after the other automatically). Really fast, too. Strangely enough, the file sets are self-extracting, so that saves another step once you find out where it stashes the files. All hail Pink Robert for taking his valuable time to continue making his amazing collection available to all of us!

Phantom Engineer

Re: JDownloader works perfectly with MEGA in Firefox

Post by Phantom Engineer » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:27 am

Is there a way to do this without JDownloaeder? According to Wikipedia "Since mid-2012, there have been multiple complaints that JDownloader's installer installs adware without the user's consent." And I believe it. It changed my homepage and gave me a toolbar I didn't ask for. It also seems to change the way I download from torrent sites in a way I don't need or want. Anyone have any advice?

merday

Post by merday » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:31 am

Phantom Engineer wrote:Is there a way to do this without JDownloaeder? According to Wikipedia "Since mid-2012, there have been multiple complaints that JDownloader's installer installs adware without the user's consent." And I believe it. It changed my homepage and gave me a toolbar I didn't ask for. It also seems to change the way I download from torrent sites in a way I don't need or want. Anyone have any advice?
Can't say I've had that problem with JDL, however many free (and paid) programs these days have toolbars and updates (and adware) as part of the install, unless you opt out of it. Been caught a couple of times myself with this annoyance (and the symptoms you describe), and sometimes disabling the toolbar only works until the next restart when it reappears again. I simply uninstall the program, do a fresh download and installation, and make sure to opt out of the "extras".
I don't know if Freerapid (http://wordrider.net/freerapid) works on Rapid as yet, but it might be worth a shot. It's also easier to use than JDL. Hope is works out for you!

Henning2804

Post by Henning2804 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:45 pm

I too have tested JDownloader, and my experience is the same: works like a breeze. Use the button for "select all files" in the list, and JDownloader uses the Linkgrabber function to download and extract. 7 files (1.2 Gb) downloaded in about 7 minutes and extracted....so I can download with twice the speed than I use converting and saving - not to mention the time I must spend making artwork :-)
So although it may very well install crapware (even java does these days) take care during the installation and do not allow it to fiddle with your pc. I can seriously recommend using it.

drgeff

Post by drgeff » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:02 am

are other people struggling with speed on jdownloader? I am getting 171KB on it, which is not terrible but still a lot slower than I am use to. I can get 500kb/sec using chrome directly but I have to copy and paste each link into chrome which is a very tedious process
any suggestions appreciated. I have already tried some of the twicks suggested on the net: selecting prior highest for all links, turning off windows display and speed display and several others

Ther19

Post by Ther19 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:44 am

Phantom Engineer wrote:Is there a way to do this without JDownloaeder? According to Wikipedia "Since mid-2012, there have been multiple complaints that JDownloader's installer installs adware without the user's consent." And I believe it. It changed my homepage and gave me a toolbar I didn't ask for. It also seems to change the way I download from torrent sites in a way I don't need or want. Anyone have any advice?
OK... THIS IS IMPORTANT if you're going to d/l and install jdownloader!!
IT WILL INSTALL STUFF (TOOLBAR AND SEARCH ENGINE), THAT YOU DON'T WANT IF YOU DON'T PAY ATTENTION DURING THE INSTALLATION PROCESS. This is VERY COMMON with freeware installs. You have to pay attention to EVERY STEP. At some point it asks if you want to just do the "Basic Install" which the install program "recommends". There is another option usually called a "Custom" install or in JDownloader's case an "Advanced" install. YOU NEED TO CHECK THE "ADVANCED" box. That's where it asks you if you want to install all this other crap. Usually by unchecking the top box (which is usually either a search engine or a toolbar), it unchecks them all. That's how it just worked with JDownloader for me just now. But in any case, you have to make sure all those boxes are unchecked before proceeding with the install. Sometimes you have to leave a box checked for the program that you're installing but that's the exception. Usually you uncheck all those boxes and then go on with the rest of the process and it doesn't put the junk on your machine. BE CAREFUL. That junk is often REALLY HARD to get rid of.
It depends on your point of view how obnoxious this is. The people who make freeware have to eat and pay rent too. They can get paid to place this junk option in their installer which traps the unwary. I'll keep my judgement to myself in favor of providing the info to avoid the trap to the members who take the time to read this post.

merday

Post by merday » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:56 am

Absolutely right. It's quite rare these days to download a freeware program without wading through the opt-out crapware. They DO have to eat, and they all accept donations, but Opt-Out is somewhat underhanded (and outlawed here in Canada for subscriber services such as internet, phone and cable). The programs you want to download are fine, useful and much appreciated - just be careful to download only the program itself and not the "extras".

Return to “General discussion”