13 Good Morning, Good Morning
14 Sergeant Pepper (Reprise)
15 A Day In The Life
16 Penny Lane (instrumental)
17 Strawberry Fields Forever (take 1)
18 Strawberry Fields Forever (take 6)
19 Strawberry Fields Forever (take 7)
20 Strawberry Fields Forever (take 25)
21 Strawberry Fields Forever (take 25 + alt vocals)
22 Strawberry Fields Forever (take 26)
23 Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (raw take 10)
24 She's Leaving Home (vocals only)
25 When I'm 64 (original key)
26 A Day In The Life (take 1)
27 A Day In The Life (take 2)
28 A Day In The Life (unused overdubs)
29 A Day In The Life (sans orchestra)
30 Penny Lane (with trumpet flourish)

1 Penny Lane
This was mixed for stereo in 1971 as I recall, and so was a little different from the stereo mixes made in the 60s. They centred the drums and bass at the time so there was no need for me to do that. However I have pushed the piano towards the left and boosted the vocals slightly.

2 Strawberry Fields Forever
This has been reconstructed by me out of Tracks 19 and 22.

3 Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Two electric guitars (one is John for sure because it's rough as guts... which sounds great!) moved from centre to left; bass and drums remain in the centre; horns remain slightly to the left; vocals moved to centre and split into stereo on the chorus; "stinging" lead guitar (which sounds like Paul to me) remains on right.

4 With A Little Help From My Friends
Drums remain in centre; bass moved from right to centre; piano and rhythm guitar split left/right; tambourine moved from right to centre; vocals split into in stereo where possible.

5 Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
Organ (the one that introduces the song) moved from left to centre; drums moved from left to centre; bass moved from right to centre; vocals remain in centre; electric gtr through Leslie speaker moved from right to left; acoustic gtr moved from left to right; organ #2 remains in centre.

6 Getting Better
Distorted electric guitar moved from left to right; "ringing" electric guitar remains on right; electric piano remains on left; main drums moved from left to centre; extra drums moved from centre to right; vocals remain in centre; tamboura remains on left.

7 Fixing A Hole
Drums, shaker and harpsichord remain on left; bass moved from left to centre; electric gtr remains on right; twin lead vocals opened up into a stereo spread; backing vocals moved from right to left.

8 She's Leaving Home
9 Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite
Drums remain in centre; bass moved from left to centre; organ remains on left; everything else remains the same.

10 Within You Without You
Percussion moved from left to centre.

11 When I'm 64
Bass and drums remain in centre; clarinets remain on right; piano moved from centre to left; lead vocal remains in centre; backing vocals moved from right to left; electric guitar remains in centre; tubular bells moved from left to centre.

12 Lovely Rita
Acoustic gtr remains on left; piano moved from left to right; bass remains in centre; drums moved from left to centre; honky tonk piano solo moved from centre to right; voices remain the same, in stereo.

13 Good Morning, Good Morning
Bass and drums moved from left to centre; electric gtr remains on left; horns remain on right; guitar solo remains in centre; lead vocal remains in centre; backing vocvals moved from right to centre.

14 Sergeant Pepper (Reprise)
Tambourine remains on left; bass and drums remain in centre; electric gtr moved from centre to right; ADT vocals folded into centre. The crowd noise at the start reflects the mono mix, which I prefer because it mirrors the introduction to the first version where the audience laughs as they come on. Presumably they had a little dance, or Sergeant Pepper dropped his trousers.

15 A Day In The Life
Acoustic gtr, piano and maraccas remain on left; extra piano remains on right; bass remains in centre; drums moved from centre to right; vocals centred.

16 Penny Lane (instrumental)
The single with the obscuring vocals, bass and drums removed to reveal the myriad of sounds beneath. It's easy to see Paul was hugely inspired by Pet Sounds here.

17 Strawberry Fields Forever (take 1)
Slowed down to match the key in The Beatles At Abbey Road presentation in 1983. Lewisohn said John superimposed his vocal with the tape machine running slow, so one can either argue that he meant the whole thing to sound slower, or he meant his voice to sound sped up. Since they never made a mix at the time, one can go either way. Personally I prefer it like this with his natural voice. Mellotron trombones, bass and electric gtr are on the left; drums separated and moved to the right; John's chief vocal is in the centre; John's second vocal and harmony vocals part one are on the left; the harmony vocals part two are on the right.

18 Strawberry Fields Forever (take 6)
Mellotron flutes on the left; bass, drums, shaker and vocals in the centre; electric gtr on the right.

19 Strawberry Fields Forever (take 7)
Mellotron flutes on the left; bass, drums, shaker, electric gtr and double tracked vocals in the centre; extra mellotron part on the right.

20 Strawberry Fields Forever (take 25)
Two attempts at the horns/strings were recorded on two different tracks and are panned in stereo here courtesy of John Barret (it was the one on the left that made it onto the single). John had the drum track panned left too but here it has been demixed to the centre.

21 Strawberry Fields Forever (take 25 + alt vocals)
A new mashup mix incorporating Track 21 along with an unused first verse vocal from RM9, just one of John's two vocals from Take 26, and the swarmandel (an Indian instrument resembling a table harp).

22 Strawberry Fields Forever (take 26)
The "complete" fast version. An earlier attempt at the vocals (preserved on RM9 and demixed into stereo on Evolver) had the first verse intact. Apparently, in between that day and the day he recorded this vocal, he had already decided he wanted to use the beginning from take 7, so he didn't bother to sing the first verse. This has been available in a variety of different mixes but here I have tried to balance the instruments more.

23 Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (raw take 10)
The complete song without the crowd noises and an ending of sorts.

24 She's Leaving Home (vocals only)
Lovely vocals in stereo, including an unused harmony part from Paul.

25 When I'm 64 (original key)
Same as Track 11 but in its original key and with some extra vocal bits. The tubular bells are on the left this time.

26 A Day In The Life (take 1)
27 A Day In The Life (take 2)
Rechannelled so that the backing is on the left and John's plaintive vocal is on the right, allowing greater examination.

28 A Day In The Life (unused overdubs)
From Evolver. The mono "acetate" mix demixed into stereo.

29 A Day In The Life (sans orchestra)
Same as Track 15 with the orchestra at home in isolation and The Ommmbudsmen making a guest appearance at the end.

30 Penny Lane (with trumpet flourish)
Track 1 with the trumpet ending from the DJ promo mix.

Code: Select all

https://we.tl/t-BDJaw0SEaO

Return to “THE BEATLES - SESSIONS”