08 I Am The Walrus
09 Hello Goodbye
10 Only A Northern Song
11 All Together Now
12 It's All Too Much
13 Hey Bulldog
14 Across The Universe
15 Lady Madonna
16 I Am The Walrus (isolated score + radio)
17 The Fool On The Hill (take 4)
18 Aerial Tour Instrumental
19 Your Mother Should Know (take 27)
20 I Am The Walrus (full length vsn)
21 It's All Too Much (full length vsn)
22 Jessie's Dream
23 Across The Universe (take 2)
24 Across The Universe (take 8)
25 Across The Universe (tk8 unused overdubs)
26 Goodnight

1 All You Need Is Love
The harpsichord is the most prominent instrument in this song so I have centred that and the backing vocals, moving them away from the left channel. This was all that was necessary to bring the mix to life. Amongst the many other instruments are two drum tracks, bass guitar, electric guitar, "freaky orchestra" as John dubbed it (he and the others wielding instruments they could not play, like violin and mandolin) and the orchestra.

2 Baby You're A Rich Man
This track wasn't mixed for stereo until October 1971 when the Germans requested a copy. Because it had been mixed in mono at Olympic Studios some four years earlier, nobody knew how to get the signature piano sound. This also applied to the stereo mix made in the 90s. I got around this problem by isolating and flying in the piano from the mono mix where needed. Drums/shaker/tambourine are moved from right to centre; piano moved from right to left; bass, handclaps and vocals remain in centre; electric guitar and Clavioline moved from left to right. The Clavioline was an early electronic instrument with a small keyboard and a touch strip, popularised on the hit record 'Telstar'. John ran his finger up and down the touch strip to get the sound heard on the record.

3 Magical Mystery Tour
Drums, shaker and cowbell moved from left to centre; bass and main vocals remain in centre; guitar, piano and extra drums remain on left; secondary vocals and trumpets remain on right; end piano moved from left to centre.

4 The Fool On The Hill
The stereo mix of this song is basically fine, so I just tweaked a couple of things: the tape head azimuth error (common to many songs including Penny Lane and Hey Jude), and the boosting of Paul's voice in a few places where it tends to sound a little buried.

5 Flying
Drums, bass and Strat moved from left to centre; acoustic guitar, shaker, Mellotron flutes moved from right to left; Melloton lead and vocals moved from centre to right.

6 Blue Jay Way
Drums, bass and organ moved from left to centre; backing vocals and cellos moved from centre to right; lead vocals moved from right to centre.

7 Your Mother Should Know
Drums and bass remain in centre; piano and organ 1 moved from centre to left; tambourine, extra drums and organ 2 remain on right; all vocals centred except for the last choruses where they retain their stereo spread.

8 I Am The Walrus
I decided to emulate the mono mix with this song because it contains a number of adjustments absent from the stereo mix. Since John was present for the mono mixing (adding in the live radio feed), one must assume he approved of all these: four beats of electric piano opening the song (rather than six); the muting of the drums around the "I'm crying" sections; and a slapback echo on his voice. Also, the only official stereo mixes of the second half of the song (aside from the original which is in fake stereo) recreate the original radio noise by using a copy of the BBC play along with some random radio sound effects. I don't consider this to be authentic so I chose to demix the mono single for this section, retaining the original radio feed.

Drums and tambourine moved from left to centre; bass remains in centre; electric guitar moved from left to right; electric piano remians on left; strings and brass moved from far right to right of centre; lead vocals remain in centre; backing vocals in stereo.

9 Hello Goodbye
The only change I made to the original stereo mix is to move the drums from left to centre. Piano and shaker on the left; lead vocals and bass centre; violas, electric guitar and backing vocals on the right.

10 Only A Northern Song
Not mixed for stereo until the 90s. This stereo remix (from Evolver) replicates a vintage Beatles remix with demixed drums on the left and organ on the right from Anthology. The mono mix was then subtracted from this to yield bass, vocals and overdubs in the centre.

11 All Together Now
Acoustic guitar and ukelele remain on left; lead vocal moved from right to centre; everything else moved from centre towards right.

12 It's All Too Much
Distorted electric guitar, bass and organ remain in centre; drums moved from centre to left; brass remains on left. ADT split lead vocal folded down to the centre; ADT split percussion folded down to the right.

13 Hey Bulldog
Piano remains on left; drums moved from left to centre; bass remains in centre; extra drums moved from centre to right; lead vocals moved from right to centre; backing vocals moved from left to centre; guitar solo moved from right to right of centre; extra electric guitar moved from centre to right.

14 Across The Universe
I haven't changed the panning but made these changes: birds clipped from start of song and demixed from final verses; speed returned to its original key; teenage girls' voices removed from choruses.

15 Lady Madonna
I have mixed everything to the centre except for the brass on the left and the electric guitar on the right. Also the harmony vocals which are too loud on "See how they run" have been reduced to what they are on the mono mix.

16 I Am The Walrus (isolated score + radio)
The strings and brass by themselves in stereo, with the isolated radio feed at the end.

17 The Fool On The Hill (take 4)
Drums moved from centre to left; piano moved from centre to right; vocals in centre; recorders in stereo.

18 Aerial Tour Instrumental
From Evolver. The mono acetate demixed into stereo, with the unique overdubs on the right channel.

19 Your Mother Should Know (take 27)
Without the bathroom ambience.

20 I Am The Walrus (full length vsn)
Same as Track 8 but with these changes: six beats at the start; drums during the "I'm crying" sections; an extra bar prior to "yellow matter custard"; no fadeout.

21 It's All Too Much (full length vsn)
Same as Track 12 but with an extra chorus and verse and a longer fade.

22 Jessie's Dream
In stereo, without the dialogue. Who knows where they recorded this.

23 Across The Universe (take 2)
With the reverb removed and teased into full stereo with acoustic guitar 1 on the left, vocals in centre, and acoustic guitar 2 and swarmandal on right. From Evolver.

24 Across The Universe (take 8)
The basic live take of the commercially issued version, with bass drum and acoustic guitar on the left and John's voice in the centre.

25 Across The Universe (tk8 unused overdubs)
Track 24 with a tamboura overdub on the right, and some unused (and later erased) overdubs of backwards bass guitar and swarmandal in the centre.

26 Goodnight
That's all folks! Goodnight from all four Beatles in perfect harmony.

Code: Select all

https://we.tl/t-91yUDLLHHG

Return to “THE BEATLES - SESSIONS”