A copy of The Genuine Pig's Ultra Rare Trax Vol. 1

1. Introduction/Julia Dream
2. Let There Be More Light
3. Murderistic Woman
4. Rain In The Country - Zabriskie Point recording session, Rome, December 1969
5. A Saucerful Of Secrets
6. If - BBC Paris Theatre, London, July 16, 1970
7. Interstellar Overdrive - Civic Auditorium, Santa Monica, CA, May 1, 1970

The sources given on the back of the CD are often wrong (the correct sources are those listed above).

Here, we have the whole June 1968 "Top Gear" session (tracks 2-3-4-6). BTW, it was the first BBC session with David Gilmour. The source for these tracks seem to be the same as for a lot of X-refs (with the common distorted bass drum at 0:56 on "Let There Be More Light"), but the sound quality is far better here. I never found on any other RoIO such a clear and clean sound for these four tracks! This superior quality can be explained if one considers these tracks were taken from a recent BBC re-broadcast (this is certainly the case for tracks 2, 3 and 4, introduced by DJ's commentary). I'd rate the sound quality Sup-.

"Rain In The Country" is an outtake from the Zabriskie Point sessions, in stereo. It's an instrumental piece of music by Gilmour, based on his experimentation on Ummagumma's "The Narrow Way (part 1)". This outtake only contains several guitar tracks played by Gilmour. In fact, during these sessions, the Floyd completed this "demo", adding drums and bass (very similar to the bass in the bluesy part of "Atom Heart Mother"). The completed outtake is now officially available, since the 1997 release of the Zabriskie Point extended soundtrack, under the name "Unknown Song". The three other common outtakes from these sessions can be found on "Ultra Rare Trax Vol.2". Sound quality here is VG+.

"If" comes from the "Peel Sunday Concert" broadcast, recorded on July 16, 1970. Sound is excellent and clear, but with some vinyl scratches (sound quality Ex+). There are better sounding versions (Sup) of that song on many other RoIOs.

"Interstellar Overdrive" is NOT from Royal Albert Hall, London, Feb 7, 1970, as listed on the back cover. It's in fact a good stereo audience recording from Santa Monica, May 1, 1970. Here, the sound quality is weaker (VG-).

So, an excellent CD to have, for the two rarities "Rain In The Country" and "Interstellar Overdrive" from Santa Monica, and also for the exceptional sound quality of the June 1968 BBC session. MARC-OLIVIER.

Code: Select all

https://mega.co.nz/#!vZ5FDSyB!x6Kh887a2PDtAUDUhzeKj9jD7flbgGH91kepunt9i30
https://mega.co.nz/#!mQACBD4A!LWvPiEsqv4xo1cXtt-WEFeTt_e1avBC0R-J4UVng4jo

Return to “PINK FLOYD - Studio & BBC”